11 Jan Healthy ways to detox in the new year.
The new year is officially underway which means resolutions are in full swing! The truth is most people have already given up or failed at their resolution, not because they truly don’t want the end result but rather the path, they chose to get there was too extreme or not right for them. One of the most common resolution is to cleanse or detox. Cleansing from alcohol, certain food groups & drinks, toxic habits & friends all of these are examples of a “cleansing or detoxing” resolution. However, let’s focus in on the resolution to cleanse the body. What does cleansing and detoxing the body really mean and how do we make sure we cleanse and detox in a healthy way?
What do you think of first when you hear the word cleanse? Let me guess, juices, fasting, no sugar? Am I anywhere close? Odds are I am. Today’s trends along with marketing have led us to believe that we need to take drastic measures to cleanse our body. The truth is you don’t, in fact if you cleanse or detox incorrectly it can be harmful to your body. Our bodies are designed to filter out harmful toxins as long as you take care of it properly but there are ways to assist your body cleanse and detox in a healthy way.
Our bodies view alcohol as a toxin and poison therefore it works extremely hard to expel it from our system as fast as possible. This breakdown is done primarily through your liver which in in charge of metabolizes the alcohol. This process has been shown to have several negative impacts on the liver:
- Impacts the ability to function adequately
- Produces cancer causing chemicals
- Cause fat buildup
- Cause inflammation
It doesn’t stop there drinking excessive alcohol is also shown to cause a breakdown in your personal relationships and overall health.
DRINK MORE WATER
Water does so much for your body, and it is one of the easiest ways to help it. Water is shown to “regulate your body temperature, lubricates joints, aids digestion and nutrient absorption, and detoxifies your body by removing waste products (2).” Most people do not drink enough water on a daily basis, so this is a great and healthy way to help your body detox.
BE MINDFUL OF YOUR FOOD
We all know we should be mindful of our foods for so many reasons but here are some specific things to watch out for when you are trying to help your body detox and cleanse:
- Eat anti-inflammatory foods. “Whole foods packed with nutrients are your best bet when it comes to keeping your insides clean. Fiber-rich fare like fruit, veggies, and beans, as well as nuts, seeds, whole grains, lean protein, and probiotics can aid gut and liver function, so any unwanted buildup gets out of your system stat (2)”
- Limit sugar intake. Sugar has been linked to chronic disease, obesity and breaking down sugar is hard on the body. Avoiding sugar can tricky because half the time you can be unaware that you are even eating sugar. One way to work on this is to limit processed foods and junk foods as they are usually packed with sugar. Stick to the fruits and veggies. A trick someone once told me was to avoid sugary food shop only on the perimeter of the grocery store never down the aisles.
- Eat antioxidant rich foods. Examples of antioxidants include vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants can be found in foods such as berries, fruits, nuts, vegetables and spices just to name a few.
- Eat foods high in prebiotics. Prebiotics help your gut health which is critical for keeping your bodies detoxification system healthy.
Quality sleep it so important to your body’s natural detoxification system and overall health. “Sufficient rest will help reduce stress and inflammation so your body can function its best (1)” “Poor sleep has been linked to short- and long-term health consequences, such as stress, anxiety, high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity (2).” To make sure you set yourself help for a good night’s rest try sticking to a schedule, eliminating the use of technology close to bed, make sure your room is cold and dark and if desired try soothing sounds or white noise.
Understanding how to help your body naturally detox and then taking the steps to assist it is the healthiest way to detox in the new year. Even slow but steady changes can have a huge impact on your body. So, this new year I challenge you to not attempt a harmful detox program or cleanse but rather make healthier choices daily.
If you are ever looking for supportive supplements such as a lean protein source or healthy antioxidant energy sources, I encourage you to explore the FITTEAM product offerings.
FITTEAM FIT : FITTEAM LEAN : FITTEAM HYDRATE : FITTEAM IMMUNE
If you are looking for a program to assist you in making healthier choices on your own check out FITTEAM FIT 30 HERE.