08 Jan Healthy Ways to Detox
Many often start a new year with that new fad diet or some supposed great new way detox your body and mind from the recent holiday binging, but is this really good for you? Today we take a look into detoxing, what it really means and way to do it correctly.
Detox by definition is “a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances; detoxification”. In theory we should all be keeping our body in tip top performance shape and never need to “detox” but let’s be real, life happens, cookies happen, a night out with friends & family happens. As our daily life takes shape, we tend to neglect our bodies health. Thus, as the new year approaches many try to get back on track by detoxing. Often people jump in a new fad detox without preparing or doing the appropriate research. This means going from burgers and fries to straight celery juice overnight. More often than not, this can be taxing on the body or even have a negative impact which completely defeats the purpose.
It is important to start out by saying that not all detoxing requires your body to make an extreme change overnight. Detoxing in some cases can be as easy as changing up a couple foods while drinking more water daily. Our bodies are designed to naturally rid toxins and harmful substances therefore, detoxing is just a way to aid in this process.
Here are some of the easiest ways you can enhance your body’s natural detoxification process:
- Drink more water.Water benefits your body in so many ways, one way is by “transporting waste products, efficiently removing them through urination, breathing, or sweating” helping your body detox.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Our liver is critical to detoxifying our bodies. Excessive drinking can damage your liver function over time.
- Reduce the amount of sugar you eat.High amounts of sugar consumption have been linked to several diseases which prevent the body from its natural ability to detox.
- Eat less processed foods.Not only do processed foods often contain more sugar they most always contain “filler” ingredients or chemicals which can cause the body harm. Not sure how to identify a processed food? A good rule of thumb is to only shop in the perimeter of the grocery store, try to stay away from the isles.
- Get more sleep.Sleep is so important for so many reasons, but one specific advantage of sleep is that this is the time when your body recharges itself and is able to remove toxins.
- Get moving.This may seem like a no brainer, but physical activity naturally increases circulation in your body which can “enhance digestion, reduce tension, lubricate joints, and strengthen your body.”
All of these are simple ways to detox this new year without having to join the current crazy fads. If you are already a person who participates in these healthy practices and looking for additional ways to help your body naturally detox, we suggest trying the following:
- Eat less salt.Consuming to much salt can cause your body to retain water which can have a negative impact.
- Change the way you eat. Be sure not to skip meals, also opt for smaller meals more often rather than a couple big meal per day.
- Eat foods that are good for you. Add in antioxidant-rich foods along with foods high is prebiotics. In short eat your fruits and vegetables.
- Drink tea. Tea has the unique advantage of help you feel full while providing you antioxidants.
- Enjoy the sauna. This one is simple sweat it out. Sweat is a great way to detox while also benefiting your skin.
Here at FITTEAM we encourage and support everyone’s attempt to live a healthy lifestyle. This is why our products are clean, free of soy, dairy, gluten while packed with rich vitamins. So, don’t buy into any fads this “resolution season” but rather make changes that will have a positive impact on your health for years to come. For more information on our products just click here.