03 Aug Quick & Easy Cucumber Kimchi
Quick & Easy Cucumber Kimchi
Kimchi (usually made with cabbage) is a staple in Korea. This dish is known for its antioxidant and gut-healing properties and is eaten at almost every meal. Similar to the classic version, one made with cucumbers is also packed with nutrients and probiotics. The process of fermenting (similar to pickling) creates a strain of bacteria that keeps our digestive system in balance. By combining the benefits of fermented foods with the hydrating health properties of cucumbers, this recipe is sure to satisfy.
Serves 6 (1/4 cup each)
Preparation Time: About 40mins
● 2 Cucumbers (about 8 ounces)
● 1 teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
● 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
● 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
● 1 1/4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
● 1 tablespoon chile powder
● 1 tsp honey (or sugar)
● 2-3 tablespoons rice vinegar (for pickling)
1. Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick half moons.
2. Place cut cucumbers in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly with salt.
3. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
4. Combine garlic, scallions, ginger, vinegar, sugar and chile powder in a medium, glass bowl.
5. Drain the cucumbers (discard the liquid).
6. Stir the cucumbers into the vinegar mixture.
7. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before serving. (This allows for the fermentation process.)
-Health & Wellness Coach