25 Jan Turkey & Barley Soup
Posted at 15:03h in FITTEAM Recipes
Prep Time: 30 minutes | 6 Servings
- 6 1/2 cups of Water
- 5 Carrots (medium, diced)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 tsps Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
- 2/3 cup Pearl Barley (uncooked)
- 12 ozs Turkey Breast, Cooked (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- In a pot over medium-high heat, add the water, carrots, onions, Italian seasoning, and salt. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and cook until the carrots are tender-crisp, about five to seven minutes.
- Stir in the barley and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add the turkey and spinach and cook until the turkey is warmed through and spinach is wilted, about three minutes. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
- LEFTOVERS: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
- SERVING SIZE: One serving is approximately two cups.
- GLUTEN-FREE: Use quinoa, gluten-free pasta, or rice instead of barley and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- MOR FLAVOR: Sauté the onions and carrots in your choice of cooking oil. Add minced garlic or ginger. Use broth instead of water.
- ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS: Add parsley, sliced green onion, or red pepper flakes.
- MAKE IT VEGAN: Use tofu, edamame, chickpeas, or lentils instead of turkey breast.
Nutrition: (Amount Per Serving)
- Calories = 187
- Fat = 2g
- Saturated Fat = 0g
- Trans Fat = 0g
- Carbs = 25g
- Fiber = 5g
- Sugar = 4g
- Protein = 20g
- Cholesterol = 40mg
- Sodium = 510mg
- Vitamin A = 9440IU
- Vitamin C = 7mg
- Calcium = 72mg
- Iron = 2mg